The Telegraph Hotel, Coventry
CDP acquired the former Trinity Mirror land holdings in Coventry, inclusive of the former Coventry Telegraph headquarters, to deliver something missing from the city centre landscape, that of a high-quality boutique hotel. The hotel has 88 air-conditioned bedrooms, meetings and events space for 140 people, a restaurant and a rooftop terrace.
A challenging and large refurbishment with a focus to conserve and restore the original architecture throughout the building. £18m investment into the property with assistance from partners Coventry City Council and West Midlands Combined Authority.
The scope of works completed by Harrabin Construction included the demolition of buildings to make way for the student accommodation development on the adjacent site. Making good the envelope and re-fitting the internal areas to accommodate the change of use. The existing ground floor reception area was (retaining as much of the existing finishes and fittings as possible to maximise the 1950’s character and authenticity) Internal partitions installed within the upper floor office areas to form hotel bedrooms and a “winter garden” space. Extensive renovations were remodelled on the ground floor in order to accommodate the new hotel reception area, lounge and restaurant entrance. The creation of a roof-top bar on the existing flat roof and will utilise the existing brick structures currently housing plant equipment.
The structure of the original print hall remains in place, has been re-cladded to achieve the necessary thermal and acoustic performance. Service areas were added at ground floor level to accommodate part of the restaurant and the kitchen, stores and staff areas. The build was completed in April 2021, despite the challenges associated with COVID 19 lockdowns and securing materials and labour to complete the build.
The hotel is now open and operated by Bespoke Hotels.
Client:Complex Developemnt Projects Ltd
Architect:Hadfield Cawkwell Davidson